Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:23:33AM +1300, Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:18:38 Ian Peters wrote:
>
> > Letting RC be more lax about resolving dependencies unrelated to the
> > current transaction will help this problem, but beyond that's it's
> > really not something we can solve.
>
> This will be a good first step... I'd rather not have RC break my system in
> order to solve what it thinks are dependency issues.

That's the feedback we've gotten from a number of users, so that's
currently our highest priority for the next release (0.9.1, hopefully
Monday).

> Also, I have never found any information on how to update the RPM database
> when installing software from tarball.  I've never needed to until now.

You have two options here:

1) Use rpm -Uvh --justdb on a real RPM which provides a library you've
  installed from source, to make the db think the package is installed
  without actually installing any files from the package

2) Use the /usr/lib/rpm/vpkg-provides* scripts

Hope this helps,
Ian

--
Ian Peters      "...it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other
itp gnu org      side of the earth and come back to us and painted