gnome not starting wm?

Hi Guys

I have been using GNOME under linux for a while now, and throughout my quest to find a linux installation that satisfies me i have used many distributions. I have come to the conclusion that an LFS system is what i want, and have just built one.

I have just installed GNOME 1.4 from source, and its doing something 1.2 did to me a while ago.. not starting the window manager. The first start it will start it, and sit there for about a minute before removing the splash screen and coming up with the panels. after saving the session again it wont even start the window manager but it thinks it has according to the control center's applet. In this case its sawfish 0.38 but it does it with icewm too.

Anyone got any ideas? I can provide any information needed...

Thanks,
Nathan Giuliani