Re: gnome not starting wm?

Hehe. This is the exact problem I was having, and
posted about, a week ago. I had rolled my own system
and when I installed gnome and the windows manager,
sawfish would run the first time I fired up X but
would not any succesive starts. Here is what was
happening. When you configure sawfish it is looking
for a few X headers. Specifically X11/SM/SMlib.h. This
file is located in /usr/X11R6/include on a basic X
install. However sawfish will not find this file with
the configure script for some reason. Check the output
of sawfish's configure for this line.

Checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h .... no

When this happens sawfish will not build with session
managment support (although it will build without any
errors or warnings), which is basically what
gnome-session is. So the window manager will start (
although it seems to hang during initial log in for a
while ) and then is removed from the .gnome/session
file. To fix this simply make a link like so:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/X11 /usr/include/X11

Recomile sawfish, and it should work nicely.

Rick Hansen