Can't launch gnome 1.4

Hello,

Compiled gnome 1.4 from the sources, all packages compiled without problems,
but when I run most of gnome programs (like gnome-session, gnome-terminal)
I've got an error like this :
gnome-terminal: error in loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/gnome/lib/libimlib-png.so: undefined symbol: png_create_read_struct
I'm using libpng 1.0.9, compiled from sources, which contains the fonction
png_create_read_struct on my debian 2.2rc0 box (Xfree 3.3.6).
Anyone has an idea ?

Cédric.