PPC port of gnome-1.4 ?

Hello,
I'm ppc linux user. I've just downloaded gnome-1.4 sources and tried to
compile them.
Did someon succeed in this ?
I'd got sevral problems. Still are there the following
- ammonite : problems with some linux headers, in particular string.h
(bigendian problem ?) Was ammonite yet ported to ppc ?
-gnome-vfs-1.0 : problems when linking libgnome-vfs-corba against gconf.
-gnome-applets : everything seems to be OK but, finally, when all is
compiled and "rpm-ed", I've got a 45k rpm-package gnome-applet. Almost
all applets are not there.

I'm stuck. And the packages I've already compiled give a very unstable
gnome (gmc always quits, as panel...)
I did not try to compile nautilus because I suppose it has not been
ported to ppc yet.

Any suggestion ?

Bertrand Dekoninck