HD Crash Related to Gnome?

This is probably offtopic, but perhaps not, and some kind soul may be
able to offer some constructive comments in any event.

Woke up this morning to find my RedHat 7 - Gnome 1.4B - Pentium III box
was locked up: the screen was stuck on a screensaver frame, the HD light
was lit, and no amount of mouse jiggling or key punching would wake it.
Tried to reboot - it couldn't find lilo - used a boot disk - couldn't
find the root partition.  After about 30 minutes I decided to turn it
off and come back later, assuming I'd probably have to reinstall Linux
and perhaps need a new HD.

I came back about an hour later, intending to check the bios in case
some setting there had gotten screwed up.  LILO came right up, and I
booted right into gdm (after fsck scrubbed some dirty partitions).  I
didn't notice anything obvious in the logs indicating the source of the
problem.

The GNOME related portion of the question is this: Is there anything in
1.4beta that may have caused this.  I'm wondering in particular about
medusa, since I've read that people have had problems with it.

If it's not software, I assume it's a thermal issue, though this machine
is usually up for weeks at a time with no problems.  I do occasionally
hear rattling from the fan, but it usually stops after a few minutes.
If anyone has experienced anything like this before, I'd appreciate
hearing what preventitive or corrective measure you took.

Thanks,
Jay