Re: kdm (kde) and gnome

On 08 Apr 2001 16:48:46 +0200, Etienne Gos wrote:
> Bonjour,
> I'm using debian 2.2.17 and kde 2.1.1.
> I'd like to use gnome to, but I don't know how to configure kdm (my display
> manager) so that I can choose between kde and gnome.
> I've installed gnome, but for now there is no way to start gnome...

(If this mail comes twice with same content it's because I postet the
first one from wrong address. sorry)

I don't know kdm, but in gdm 1.4 there was a kde session file provided
one could simply choose from the menu. Talk about working together ....
Anyway, for gdm it's like this: in /etc/gdm/Sessions are shell scripts,
named like the window manager they start. I think for kdm it will be
similar.

Method 1: Take a generic one and copy it to GnomeSession or something
(as root) and open it with a text editor. Probably there are variables
defined like WM=somewindowmangager. Change that to WM=gnome-session.
Change other stuff so that it fits (maybe logfiles or the like).

Method 2: Probably there is a session file Xsession. As user, create a
file .xsession in your home directory, open and put in:

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-session

Then save and exit, then chmod 744 .xsession. Choose Xsession from kdm
menu

Method 3: get the GnomeSession file that gdm provides and put it where
it belongs for kde (e.g., uninstall kdm, install gdm, copy GnomeSession
file to your home directory, uninstall gdm , install kdm, cp file where
it belongs (check ownership/permissions)

Method 4: Deinstall kdm, install gdm and run KDE from it :o)

Good luck

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government