Re: Image usage: will Gnome ever do these things?

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:

> > 2. Assign different background picturess to different workspaces.
> > Enlightenment and WindowMaker can. Sawfish steadfastly refuses to,
> > saying it is Gnome's job.  Is it possible for Gnome to do it?
> Put this in your .sawfishrc:
>
> (defun change-workspace-background ()
>   "Change workspace background colors"
>   (cond
>    ((= 0 current-workspace) (system "xsetroot -solid mediumslateblue"))
>    ((= 1 current-workspace) (system "xsetroot -solid seagreen2"))
>    ((= 2 current-workspace) (system "xsetroot -solid orange"))))
>
> (add-hook 'enter-workspace-hook change-workspace-background)
>
> Instead of xsetroot, you can use any other command, like ImageMagick
> display or xsetbg.

This approach is painfully slow in changing workspaces if the
backgrounds are jpg files, compared to Enlightenment or Window Maker.
So I renew my request that Gnome's desktop background setter allow users
to individually control workspace pictures.

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu