Re: CD ROM and Floppy icons won't disappear

george gmsys com (2000-10-29 at 2326.21 +0800):
> You just can't ask a user coming from the Windows would to mount and
> unmount floppy disks.  They don't like it.  Heck I don't even like it
> and I've been using Unix for over 10 years.  It's good to have on the
> server but not on the desktop.

You can try automounter systems with sync (so data is saved ASAP), in
practice it is more or less what MS Windows does. Try changing
floppies, it is "funny", sometimes the system becomes mad or damages
the floppy, very "funny".

And also, you can tell users the truth: that computers are stupid, and
if someone decided to save some bucks years ago when PC floppy was
choosen, they are even stupidier than they could be (compare to Mac,
it has hw detect and eject).

Another advice about removable devices: create, and inform your users
about, scripts that umount & eject or close & mount CDs or any other
device capable of that. Yes, floppy will not work, but at least people
will realize that the mounter applet or gkrellm are useful, that they
are not only about mount but other things too (and blame the guys that
chose the cheap floppy approach ;] ).

GSR