Re: Gnome on Solaris 8 w/depot

The way depot works is this: when you build a package you change the
prefix.

So for gnome-libs (or any package) I'd do this:
./configure --prefix=/usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2

this would make gnome-libs target /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2 and
install all it's binaries, data files etc...

not I goto /usr/local and run depot. Depot reads it's configuration file
that says "gnome-libs is located /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2". It
them makes symlinks so gnome-linbs is now in /usr/local. after depot is
ran basically gnome-libs will have all it's files in /usr/local just as
though I built gnome-libs with the --prefix=/usr/local.

Why use depot?

/usr/depot is out main app storage directory.
/usr/depot/sol8 is out solaris 8 app directory. We also have sol26 sol7
etc.
then ther is the standard <packagename>/<version>.

So if we upgrade a package (say gnome-libs 1.2.2 comes out and we have
1.2.1 installed) all we do is re-build gnome-libs with a new --prefix for
what version it is. Change depots config so it points to the new gnome-lib
then re-run depot.

We have SO many packages on out systems that managmentof so many packes
getts to crazy to just dump them all in /usr/local .

I'd rather us something else like rpm or <whatever> but it's already to
late. My choice was shot down. I have to work with depot.

So my problem is since every package has different targets I'm thinking
that gnome-session is looking in /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-core/1.x.x instead
of /usr/local. So I'm asking of there is a way around this? Can I just set
a var in the enviroment? is the COnfigure script hard wiring the
prefix? is so any way I can override it so it ignores the prefix and goes
straight to /usr/local as it's prefix???

Thanks.