Re: Gnome on Solaris 8 w/depot

Good explanation of Depot.

WRT Solaris, you've got a somewhat sticky problem.  I don't know
a lot about the internals of GNOME, but I'm pretty sure that when
you stick the prefix for gnome in gnome-libs to be /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2, the rest of the gnome software
(assuming you don't reset the prefix) will try to align itself
down in that directory.  And you definitely don't want that.

I think what you could do is use /usr/local as your prefix and
then when installing the software to the depot, reset the prefix
value to /usr/depot/sol8/package/version.  This way, the correct
locations will be off of /usr/local for the purposes of the build
and lookups for dependencies, but the installation will go where
you want it to.  By doing this, (and creative munging of the
*config and *Conf.sh files, set the runtime linker to look at /usr/local - ie -R/usr/local/lib for the various LIBS flags)
you can point everything in the right place, have all the lookups
for things off the main tree find themselves, and benefit from the
use of depot.

Personally, what I do when I build is overwrite the existing package
with the "make install", build the new package, pkgrm the old package
and pkgadd the new one.  Works pretty well.  If something blows up,
I can always fall back to the previous package by the pkgrm/pkgadd
trick.

Hope this helps.  It does sound kind of tricky, and I'd be willing to
bet in general this will work, except for code which make hard coded
references to the prefix in the various Makefiles.

Ben

The way depot works is this: when you build a package you change the
prefix.

So for gnome-libs (or any package) I'd do this:
./configure --prefix=/usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2

this would make gnome-libs target /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2 and
install all it's binaries, data files etc...

not I goto /usr/local and run depot. Depot reads it's configuration file
that says "gnome-libs is located /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-libs/1.2.2". It
them makes symlinks so gnome-linbs is now in /usr/local. after depot is
ran basically gnome-libs will have all it's files in /usr/local just as
though I built gnome-libs with the --prefix=/usr/local.

Why use depot?

/usr/depot is out main app storage directory.
/usr/depot/sol8 is out solaris 8 app directory. We also have sol26 sol7
etc.
then ther is the standard <packagename>/<version>.

So if we upgrade a package (say gnome-libs 1.2.2 comes out and we have
1.2.1 installed) all we do is re-build gnome-libs with a new --prefix for
what version it is. Change depots config so it points to the new gnome-lib
then re-run depot.

We have SO many packages on out systems that managmentof so many packes
getts to crazy to just dump them all in /usr/local .

I'd rather us something else like rpm or <whatever> but it's already to
late. My choice was shot down. I have to work with depot.

So my problem is since every package has different targets I'm thinking
that gnome-session is looking in /usr/depot/sol8/gnome-core/1.x.x instead
of /usr/local. So I'm asking of there is a way around this? Can I just set
a var in the enviroment? is the COnfigure script hard wiring the
prefix? is so any way I can override it so it ignores the prefix and goes
straight to /usr/local as it's prefix???

Thanks.

--
---
Bryan Whitehead