X4.0.1 & Gnome fonts

Hey all,

I've posted this to all sorts of newsgroups and I keep getting ignored!
Somebody please please help me with this:

I'm running RedHat 7 clean install,  (I was running 6.1 for nearly 2 years),
using an ATI Xpert98 (Mach64) card. RedHat installed using X4.0.1 for most
things, but used the 3.3.6 server. I changed the symlink to use the 4.0.1
server. Here's the problem:

The main fonts in Gnome (desktop, window titles, etc) are HUGE and very very
ugly. I can't seem to change them. The same fonts show up in Java applets
running inside Netscape. Nowhere else do I have a problem. KDE works very
nicely, with no font problems. When I'm using the X3.3.6 server, I have no
font problems.

What's going on? Where are these fonts coming from? I've seen reference to a
possible bug in Xlib, but I don't know much about that stuff.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Tom