Re: gnome-session runs differently under gdm?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 09:30:31AM -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> Joseph> Also, it appears gdm is not even running gnome-session since
> Joseph> that's actually a wrapper script on my system (I'm not sure
> Joseph> that if I were to put the wrapper script stuff in
> Joseph> default.session that it would actually get run before anything
> Joseph> else), and it does not appear at this time that my wrapper is
> Joseph> even running.
>
> Well.  It depends entirely how gdm is configured on your distribution
> (I take it you're using Debian, which I'm not intimately familiar
> with).

It was my bug..  My script that copies defaults did so if you had no
.gnome directory.  If you run gdm, you always have one by the time
gnome-session runs.  Therefore my defaults didn't copy.  Therefore you got
the Gnome defaults.  Therefore it looked like something was hosed.

As noted in a message a few days ago when I finally figured out what was
wrong with just copying the files I was if they didn't exist, Gnome 2.0
will make this SO much nicer since I won't have to use silly wrapper
script hacks to make system-wide defaults for things like the panel.

Thanks for trying, could you lend me a paper bag, please?  =)

> Check /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions for the session scripts available on your
> system.
>
> Depending on what you select in the greeter window, one of these
> scripts will be executed to start your session of choice.

The method of discovering the real problem was to make my wrapper script
NOT run the real gnome-session, but instead just start sawfish and an
xterm..  Inspecting my .gnome directory found a single file named gdm,
which evoked much swearing that could be heard throughout the building I'm
certain..

At that point, the fix was almost trivial for anyone fully awake.  I
wasn't, but I managed.  Truly a paper-bag bug on my part.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd debian org>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3

Caveats: it's GNOME, be afraid, be very afraid of the Depends line
        -- James Troup