Re: GNOME Performance (was Re: Suggestions)

Seems like most of the messages seem to indicate Intel/AMD CPU users.
I've got an SGI Indy running IRIX 6.5.9m on a MIPS R4400 133MHz, but
with a good amount of RAM - 192MB.  My observations:

1. Choose your theme carefully.  A lightweight them really speeds
   up operation
2. RAM helps.  A Lot.
3. Compile for your architecture with optimization, as others have said.
4. Startup of GNOME programs is slow - haven't traced why.  In IRIX
   there's a way to speed up startup by running "rqsall" (re-quickstart
all)
   but again, I've never investigated that.

Himanshu