Re: gnome-session runs differently under gdm?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd debian org> writes:

> Also, it appears gdm is not even running gnome-session since that's
> actually a wrapper script on my system (I'm not sure that if I were to put
> the wrapper script stuff in default.session that it would actually get run
> before anything else), and it does not appear at this time that my wrapper
> is even running.

Well, talking about Debian: have a look at /etc/gdm/Sessions/Default,
which is the Gnome startup script after logging in via gdm. This
should be a link to ./Gnome, and there you may find the lines:

  gnomesession="/usr/bin/gnome-session --purge-delay=15000"
     [...]
  if [ -n "$startssh" ]; then
    exec $sshagent -- $gnomesession
  else
    exec $gnomesession
  fi

This starts gnome-session, which at least on my woody is a binary
file, not a wrapper script.

Further on, the Gnome script sources /etc/gnome/session.option (not
existent here), maybe you can place your systemwide modifications
there or source /etc/gnome/default.session there yourself.

Greetings,
joachim