Re: newbie question: desktop bigger than monitor?

Sounds to me like an X issue, if I understand the problem correctly.
Open your XF86Config file and go to the "Screen" section. If you add a

Virtual 1280 1024

in the section for the X server you're using (such as SVGA), it should
fix the problem.

There's a useful little piece on virtual resolutions at