newbie question: desktop bigger than monitor?

I'm just starting with Linux on my desktop (although I've worked with it
on servers for some time) and I don't even know if this is a Gnome
question or a window manager one, but I can't seem to get my desktop to
fit the size of my monitor.  I have 1 desktop defined with a virtual
desktop size of 1x1 screens in Enlightenment but the actual desktop is
about 320x180 pixels larger than the 1280x1024 display.  Where should I
look to fix this?...its driving me crazy.

For what its worth, I have Red Hat 6.1 which came with Enlightenment
0.15.5-41 and I updated the Gnome packages to the October Gnome (e.g.
gnome-core-1.0.54-2).

thanks,
-Don