Re: version control

Hello !

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:28:29PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
[clip]
> 1. Obviously if I am looking at a particular version then I am looking
> at just that version.  If I send it to a friend I want just that
> version sent -- no hidden stuff like MS Word.

Please, please, please. If you have to send a document to a friend,
please send it in an *interchange* format, not in the *save* format
or your word processor, which is certainly not optimized for
distribution.  I'm not more pleased receiving a StarOffice document
than a M$ '.doc'.

Of course, this comment doesn't apply if your friend has to *edit*
the document with the same software as yours. This being said, I am
wondering what could be a suitable interchange format : RTF doesn't
seem to be too extensible, and HTML is not really designed to be
imported in word processors. Maybe a new XML interchange format could
be crafted by the GNOME and KDE camps if none is available ? So you
could easily 'export' (or even 'send by mail' *cough*) version 1.7 of
'your-document.efs'.

[clip]

Cu,
Damien.

--
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that
he is already degraded.