Re: version control

> One thing I'd like to see in Gnome is integrated version control.
> When I make changes to my various abiword documents and gnumeric
> spreadsheets, I'd like to be able to checkpoint specific revisions to
> be kept.  Right now I do this by hand by making backup copies of the
> files I want.  This is annoying.

Yes, tied in with the 'Recent Documents' feature and life would be
sweet.

I would imagine being able to set a policy for directories, though this
is beging to sound like a filesystem feature.  Any reason why we cant
build structrue on top of one of the forth comming JFS?

I remeber reading about BeOS before I discouvered Linux.  At the Time I
had an Aging Amiga (about 7 years old) and had decided to move to a more
powerful system and Then BeOS started to suppord intel gardware.  Any
way, what got me excited was the discrition of the fileing system, it
sounded like they were going to make it a database, with user definable
fields.

I think take that idea (ie, tables as directorues, relate fileds to each
other and query the file system for a projects files scaterd all over
the place) with the ability to roll back a file X number of steps.  One
could then simple query for all docs used in the last X number of days,
or all gfx docs modified and used for project monkey etc, roll them back
to last thursday and continue.

As for space, my mum brought a PC the other month with 15gig hd, df tels
me I have used 2.1gigs of my drive, so I think space is not an issue
unless you are a digital DJ or something similar.

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss