version control

Like I said in an earlier message, lately I've been using Gnome as an
ordinary user.  Luckily I'm under a lot of time pressure, and this
lets me efficiently simulate a non-technical user -- I have specific
tasks to get done, so I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure
out bugs X, Y, and Z.

One thing I'd like to see in Gnome is integrated version control.
When I make changes to my various abiword documents and gnumeric
spreadsheets, I'd like to be able to checkpoint specific revisions to
be kept.  Right now I do this by hand by making backup copies of the
files I want.  This is annoying.

One way to implement this would be to have an RCS virtual filesystem.
However, that is probably not sufficient, because ideally the UI would
present the user with version control options.  Another way to do it
would be to do what Emacs does.  (I think I'd prefer RCS.)

Ideally the various Gnome applications would also have auto-save.
This is probably something that could go in gnome-libs somehow.

Tom