Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

>   I would personally fight *very hard* any attempt to reproduce
> the nightmare mess of non-managed packages found on Windows.
> Stick to RPM/dpkg/whatever the standard is on your platform.
> Add whatever is needed to find RPMs at the desktop level but
> don't attemps another packaging alternative. I'm not joking ...

Well it would be cool if the package knew how it was installed (ie from
source or from RPM) and then use the right method to uninstall.  I would
never consider an alternative package installer.  RPM does everything you
need.

> > As for the uninstallation part, being able to right-click
> > on a program icon and select uninstall would be one approach.
> > I suppose that might be making it a little too easy for someone
> > to accidently remove a program, which may explain M$' decision
> > to stick program removal inside the control panel.
>
>   Again independantly of the UI, stick to existing package
> mechanism, e.g. run rpm -e in the background.

Yes, thats what I was thinking..

	sri