Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:30:16AM -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> >   I would personally fight *very hard* any attempt to reproduce
> > the nightmare mess of non-managed packages found on Windows.
> > Stick to RPM/dpkg/whatever the standard is on your platform.
> > Add whatever is needed to find RPMs at the desktop level but
> > don't attemps another packaging alternative. I'm not joking ...
>
> Well it would be cool if the package knew how it was installed (ie from
> source or from RPM) and then use the right method to uninstall.  I would
> never consider an alternative package installer.  RPM does everything you
> need.

   rpm -qf path-to-file

 returns that package owning the file (if any). That's make the glue
to an uninstall option nearly trivial. I bet dpkg has the same possibility

> >   Again independantly of the UI, stick to existing package
> > mechanism, e.g. run rpm -e in the background.
>
> Yes, thats what I was thinking..

  I do often cleanup using
  rpm -e `rpm -qf path-to-file`

so damn simple, and yell if trying to remove the package would break
other programs. Capturing taht would definitely be useful.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW