Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 08:29:21AM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> An example of an installation process that works really well
> (basically a self-extracting, auto-run installation program)
> is used in Real Networks latest Linux beta of RealPlayer.
> I think self-extracting programs should be the become ubiquitous
> for Linux GUI programs (I think Micro$oft's setup.exe performs
> basically the same task for installation media like CDs and
> floppies).  I personally like self-extracting setup programs
> better.  The only time it seems sensible to have a setup.exe
> type program is when files have to be split across multiple
> disks.

  I would personally fight *very hard* any attempt to reproduce
the nightmare mess of non-managed packages found on Windows.
Stick to RPM/dpkg/whatever the standard is on your platform.
Add whatever is needed to find RPMs at the desktop level but
don't attemps another packaging alternative. I'm not joking ...

> As for the uninstallation part, being able to right-click
> on a program icon and select uninstall would be one approach.
> I suppose that might be making it a little too easy for someone
> to accidently remove a program, which may explain M$' decision
> to stick program removal inside the control panel.

  Again independantly of the UI, stick to existing package
mechanism, e.g. run rpm -e in the background.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW