Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

Brian Kimball wrote:

> Poletti, Don wrote...
>
> > I think this would make a good project of the week.
>
> I hate to be a jerk, but I think this would make a horrible project,
> whether it's project of the week or not.
>
> How many UI rules does this break?
>
> user: how do I uninstall a program?
> developer: right-click on it in the foot menu
> user: but I thought the foot menu is for _running_ programs!!
>
> Talk about unintuitive!  Jeesh.

Brian, do you like Micro$oft's "Add/Remove Programs" control panel
interface?  If so, what do you like about it?  If not, what don't
you like about it?

Having a GUI-driven installation/de-installation feature that is
easy to find and use does seem like a requirement for a desktop
for new users (especially the mom and pop home user variety).

InstallShield has built an entire company around doing only
software package installation and removal, so I'd be astounded
if this turned out to be a project that someone could whip together
in a week and have be full-featured and easy to use.

Miles