Re: using the panel to uninstall packages.

An example of an installation process that works really well
(basically a self-extracting, auto-run installation program)
is used in Real Networks latest Linux beta of RealPlayer.
I think self-extracting programs should be the become ubiquitous
for Linux GUI programs (I think Micro$oft's setup.exe performs
basically the same task for installation media like CDs and
floppies).  I personally like self-extracting setup programs
better.  The only time it seems sensible to have a setup.exe
type program is when files have to be split across multiple
disks.

As for the uninstallation part, being able to right-click
on a program icon and select uninstall would be one approach.
I suppose that might be making it a little too easy for someone
to accidently remove a program, which may explain M$' decision
to stick program removal inside the control panel.

Miles