Re: Mouse Bindings with gnome

Miles Lane wrote:

> Matthias Warkus wrote:
>
> > +++ Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 03:18:46PM -0800 +++
> > Miles Lane e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> >
> >> Noone from Helixcode or the Gnome core team
> >> has yet addressed the need for handling USB keyboards
> >> and mice.
> >

> > Why should they? Device drivers are a kernel affair, handling pointing
> > devices is an X server issue. AFAIK, GNOME does not include any
> > efforts to work on OS kernels or on X servers (apart from, maybe, the
> > Render extension, which has got nothing to do with supporting mice).
>
> Well, there is the control center, which has a mouse configuration
> interface, including a right-left mouse option.  Doesn't that option
> set the interpretation of button signals from a particular device?
> I am looking at the UI right now and it doesn't have an option to
> specify which mouse device to modify, so it is probably defaulting
> to /dev/mouse (which on my machine is a link to psaux).

I have two mice connected, one on each side of my keyboard, the one
on the left has button 1 on the right.  Left mouse is USB, right
mouse is PS/2. This is configured just with X11, I have not been
looking at Gnome Control center....

Here are relevant exerpts from the following files:

---- XF86config-4 ----
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Buttons"               "6"
        Option          "resolution"            "250"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Second Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Buttons"               "6"
        Option          "resolution"            "250"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"      "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse"         "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Second Mouse"          "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
!--- XF86config-4 ----

---- ~gnome/etc/gdm/Init/Default ----
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinput set-button-map 'Second Mouse' 3 2 1
!--- ~gnome/etc/gdm/Init/Default ----

And now, looking at Gnome Control Center, it does not appear to know
about the possibility to have more than one mouse, or other pointing
device for that matter....

--
regards,