Help! Panel Dumps on fresh install...

I just installed the latest "stable" release of the gnome libraries,
a clean install as a non-root user.  Everything runs fine as that user
but the problems start when I try to use the panel from that installation
as a different user after setting the correct path and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
for shared libs.

Panel gives me:
Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

after showing the gray box and dying. It then procedes to barf up a ton
of errors resulting from all the applets trying to attach themselves to
the non-existant panel.  THEN, panel restarts and the cycle continues.

I have tried removing everything from the /tmp, all .gnome directories,
etc. but no use.  I have seen numerous postings similiar to this problem,
but no solutions.  I would really appreciate any ideas on how to fix this.

Running on Suns Ultra 60, Solaris 7,
gnome-core-1.2.4
gnome-libs-1.2.8

Thanks,