Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

On 21-Aug-00 Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> I assume nothing. The other day I nearly fucked my system with
> GMC. Luckly, nothing serious cos it was my normal user. Now I insist
> more about root / normal user, and do not use GMC at all for handling
> files.

        Same here, actually. That's why I suggested making it easy
to run GNOME as root without running GMC. Those drag-and-drop
features become dangerous weapons with root privilege. Someone may
be able to come up with a better strategy, like turning off d-n-d
operations for root, but this ought to be changed somehow other
than repeating a warning endlessly. It's my experience that
warnings like this get ignored after a while, anyway.

>Speaking about users, developers and such... I doubt that in so many
>years of root / user, people have not seen all you can think of, and
>more. I guess that is the reason to be so radical about the GMC
>warning. I am young, and have seen some... and I am scared with so
>few, imagine an old computer guy.

        Actually, my typical user is a recent high school
graduate who's bored out of his mind, and has had about three
hours' sleep in the last three days. Among bipeds, my users are
probably as dangerous as it gets, except maybe for some of their
instructors. I still want to be able to do the things I need to
do in root without endless, useless warnings.

>If you do not like something in an Open Source OS, you can change
>it... and even submit code to the mantainer. He can or not accept
>it. You can then fork if he does not. I will provide names for your
>new GNOME branch: "GNOME Suicide" or "Lemming" (damn, taken).

        How about "#ifndef PATRONIZING_PROGRAMMERS"? I bet that
one's not taken.

--
Craig Orsinger                <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>
Logicon Advanced Technology

"'Eureka'. It's Greek for 'This bath's too hot'."   - The Doctor