Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

daniell@cs.berkeley.edu (2000-08-21 at 1502.33 -0700):
> > root should be treated as fire, you can use it, but right.
> Exactly, exactly, exactly.  Rather than stopping folks from doing what
> you believe are stupid things, you warn them.  If they persist, you
> ASSUME THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and let them continue.  If they've

I assume nothing. The other day I nearly fucked my system with
GMC. Luckly, nothing serious cos it was my normal user. Now I insist
more about root / normal user, and do not use GMC at all for handling
files.

> heard the warnings and think they understand the consequences of their
> actions, then you allow them to turn off the warnings, and not answer
> "Are You Sure?" a million times.  The user may have a problem or may be
> in a situation that the developer would never have thought of in a
> million years.  And if it turns out they really *were* doing something
> stupid, at least they learn.  Don't you agree that learning is generally
> a good thing?

Yes, if you want the gun, buy one yourself. I will not buy it for you.
Then you can shoot yourself, or shoot at paper targets, or kill your
family, but do not make me part of it.

Speaking about users, developers and such... I doubt that in so many
years of root / user, people have not seen all you can think of, and
more. I guess that is the reason to be so radical about the GMC
warning. I am young, and have seen some... and I am scared with so
few, imagine an old computer guy.

> I cannot stress this strongly or frequently enough: THE USER IS MASTER
> OF THE MACHINE, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.  Belief in this principle is
> one of the main philosophical differences between Open Source OSes (like
> Linux) and proprietary ones (like Windoze).  Let's not, in our rush to
> beat Windoze, turn around and become their clones.

If you do not like something in an Open Source OS, you can change
it... and even submit code to the mantainer. He can or not accept
it. You can then fork if he does not. I will provide names for your
new GNOME branch: "GNOME Suicide" or "Lemming" (damn, taken).

I patched a RPM to do a thing I want but the coder will not (he added
it in lastets version, and I want previous version behaviour). It was
easy, now my app works as I want, and I am happy, while the coder is
happy too. Wonderlful Open Source.

GSR