Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:
> I assume nothing. The other day I nearly fucked my system with
> GMC. Luckly, nothing serious cos it was my normal user. Now I insist
> more about root / normal user, and do not use GMC at all for handling
> files.
> Yes, if you want the gun, buy one yourself. I will not buy it for you.
> Then you can shoot yourself, or shoot at paper targets, or kill your
> family, but do not make me part of it.

Yes, but if I've been using guns all my life, and I know all the
precautions that should be taken, and I have no intention of shooting
anything but paper targets, then you shouldn't write code (or laws) to
prevent me from doing so.

> Speaking about users, developers and such... I doubt that in so many
> years of root / user, people have not seen all you can think of, and
> more. I guess that is the reason to be so radical about the GMC
> warning. I am young, and have seen some... and I am scared with so
> few, imagine an old computer guy.

You are absolutely wrong about this.  Why do you think large,
experienced software developers spend tons of time and money hiring
focus groups (at the beginning of the development cycle) and beta
testers?  I've been involved in all phases: from product conception, to
development, to beta testing, to bug fixing, to end use, and I'm here to
tell you that no one has seen all I can think of, not even me.

But I'll forgive you for this mistake, since you are young.

> > I cannot stress this strongly or frequently enough: THE USER IS MASTER
> > OF THE MACHINE, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.  Belief in this principle is
> > one of the main philosophical differences between Open Source OSes (like
> > Linux) and proprietary ones (like Windoze).  Let's not, in our rush to
> > beat Windoze, turn around and become their clones.
>
> If you do not like something in an Open Source OS, you can change
> it...

Hello, I'm not a gnome developer, I'm a gnome USER, and this is the
gnome USERS list, last time I checked.

Besides, I am a developer on other projects, and it's generally
considered to be bad practice to "hardwire" options in code when they
can be stored in a config file or accessed from a command line without
too much more difficulty.

I want to hear someone tell me straight out that I can't use GNOME the
way I want unless I'm prepared to hack GNOME code.  And then I will tell
that person to go straight to hell, or better yet, straight to Redmond.

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy		daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
California PATH/UC Berkeley Vision Group

It doesn't matter how bad things are.
What matters is whether things will get better.
begin:vcard
n:Lyddy;Daniel
tel;fax:(+1) 510-231-5600
tel;work:(+1) 510-231-5659
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
org:UC-Berkeley/California PATH;ViVE Lab/ATMIS Group
version:2.1
email;internet:daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
title:MSEE
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmond Field Station=0D=0ABuilding 452=0D=0A1357 S. 46th St;Richmond;CA;94804-4698;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-8480
fn:Daniel Lyddy
end:vcard