font corruption problems

I have a recurring problem in Gnome where suddenly all the type is
garbled. Meaning all type in all windows, not just the current app;
once it happens I have no choice but to log out of Gnome. When I log
in again everything is back to normal.

You can kind of still make out the letters, but it's as if half their
pixels have been removed and the other half have experienced a small
earthquake.

It usually happens when I'm in Netscape, especially if I'm foolish
enough to use the scrollbar instead of the page up/down keys. But
I've also seen it when I'm, say, selecting from a pulldown menu in
Emacs.

I tried using KDE instead of Enlightenment, but it happens in both.

I tried upgrading Netscape to the latest version, but that didn't fix
it. I'm not convinced that Netscape is the source of the problem, but
it certainly holds the record for making it happen most often.

I tried installing the latest XFree86-xfs (X font server) RPM, but
that didn't help either.

I have virtually zero technical knowledge about Gnome or X. Can
anyone advise me?

Thanks,
Scott