Re: Using GNOME code in KDE2

Derek Fountain <fountai@hursley.ibm.com> writes:

> I recently asked a question on the KDE list (I use both
> desktops and subscribe to both lists) about whether it's OK
> to use GNOME code in KDE2 applications. I understand that
> GNOME has a bit of KDE code in it (or has had in the past),
> but the feeling on "the other side" is that GNOME folks
> don't like the KDE folks using GNOME code in return. Is this
> true? Will I be prevented from releasing any code which is
> used in KDE if it contains GNOME code? I'm talking about
> KDE2 here, with Qt2 (which I presume is where the sticky
> point is).

I see no reason why anyone would :
        1) prevent you from using GNOME code
        2) be able to enforce you not to use it.

2) -> most of GNOME code is GPL whichs means you can do anything
you want with it respecting the GPL. That is Free Software !

However, before forking codebases, (should you wish to) I strongly
encourage you to talk to people about it and not to repeat the
gtkhtml example.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu@eazel.com>