Using GNOME code in KDE2

I recently asked a question on the KDE list (I use both
desktops and subscribe to both lists) about whether it's OK
to use GNOME code in KDE2 applications. I understand that
GNOME has a bit of KDE code in it (or has had in the past),
but the feeling on "the other side" is that GNOME folks
don't like the KDE folks using GNOME code in return. Is this
true? Will I be prevented from releasing any code which is
used in KDE if it contains GNOME code? I'm talking about
KDE2 here, with Qt2 (which I presume is where the sticky
point is).

Please don't let this post start a thread which degenerates
into a flame war over licences. I'm not part of KDE, and any
software I write wouldn't become an official part of KDE
(whatever that means). I'm just a user who wants his desktop
to work a bit better.