Re: ANNOUCE: gTrouble - New project [summary]

Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org> writes:

|     - XML enforce more structure on the document, hence ease the
|       reusability

I don't understand this argument.  I guess, you mean, XML forces you to
"close" every tag.  But this doesn't change the  structure of the
document.

No marked sections are allowed at the authoring level; for serious
writers, that's the knockout for XML.  You've to work around via
attributes...  XML isn't user friendly at all; it's meant to make the
machine (the parser) happy.

Therefore the best scenario is: write your document in SGML (as declare
by the declaration); if necessary "convert" it into XML.  Tools are
available.

|     - XML tools are numerous, usaully small, while SGML requires a more
|       heavy environment

Tools in Python and Perl are nice; but the development of these tools
isn't finished.  Yes, there are a lot of Java tools, though...  Not all
are free and not everybody likes Java.

|     - Doc in XML can be directly displayed in IE5 and Mozilla, if one
|       provide a stylesheet. It's not the case for SGML

Both are not in wide spread use at this moment.  And of course, you can
generate XML easily from SGML.

|     I suggest we investigate moving from DocBook/SGML to DocBook/XML,
|   even Eve Maler the original author of DocBook has now switched to
|   the XML version. I would be surprized we use some of the SGML only features
|   and if not I can try to check with the DocBook authors for reintegration
|   of those.

See above: marked sections.

--
                                             work   :        ke@suse.de