Re: ps/tt fonts in gnome apps

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Nathan Clegg wrote:
> Why is it that gnumeric, abiword, and other such applications have their
> own special set of fonts, rather than using the postscript and truetype
> fonts I use in X (and gimp, for that matter)?

Because those fonts are being converted to X fonts on-the-fly via an X
server (I assume), and there is no way to ask X for the printable version
of a font. Thus you can't use X fonts for any application that wants to
print.

Yes, this aspect of X sucks a lot.

Gnumeric and AbiWord (in two different ways) install their own set of
fonts with a known X-font/printable-font mapping so they can both display
and print the font.

Havoc