How does swallowed apps work?

For example, I wanted to put a xterm in the panel. I created the swallowed app,
chose xterm. After the rectangle appeared on the panel, I oppened an xterm,
which took the size of it.
I removed the rectangle. And then did all this again, but the same happened.
Well, once it worked, but I don't remember what the
combination was.
Could anyone tell me what is the combination of actions to take,
and why do we need to take all these actions(is it a bug)?

Eduardo
POLI:Projecto Português de Documentação do Linux
http://www.poli.org