Re: ps/tt fonts in gnome apps

On 16-Sep-99 Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Because those fonts are being converted to X fonts on-the-fly via an X
> server (I assume), and there is no way to ask X for the printable
> version
> of a font. Thus you can't use X fonts for any application that wants to
> print.

I wasn't so much planning on X making those fonts available, but rather
the applications themselves using the same fonts that X does, and then
possibly using X's prior knowledge of them for simpler display.  It seems
logical to me to say "Hey, gnumeric, X is using the fonts in THIS
directory.  You should too."

> Gnumeric and AbiWord (in two different ways) install their own set of
> fonts with a known X-font/printable-font mapping so they can both
> display
> and print the font.

Where is this documented?  How can I "install" these fonts into gnumeric
and abiword?  Will gnome-print be used more widely in gnome applications
in the future?  Adding fonts to a central place to make them accessible to
all gnome applications is one step closer to my dream of all X
applications.  I hate comparing unix to windows and macintosh, but it does
seem like this is one area where unix really does come up short.

Incidentally, how does gimp do it?  It appears to have seamless access to
all of the fonts X does, including my separate tcp truetype font server.
This seems the proper way to do it, to me.

Nathan Clegg
 nathan@islanddata.com