Re: Problem with the control-center

> SuSE installs its Gnome package in /opt/gnome, so if you want to build your own
> Gnome programs you should put them in the same location, like this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
>
> Then make and (as root) make install
>
> This works for me, so it should work for you too, right?

Hi Herman,
after somebody has told me that I should use the --prefix option, I had
a look at where SuSE generally puts the GNOME files. And in fact, I saw
that SuSE puts these files under /opt/gnome. So yesterday night, I did
exactly what you've mentioned. Well, it works exect for two problems:

1. The control-center works, but I cannot change the settings. I have
solved that problem the following way:
Let's take the Window-manager Properties as an example. So, I had a look
at the file
/opt/gnome/share/control-center/Desktop/wm-properties.desktop. Almost at
the end of that file, there's a line

	exec wm-properties-capplet --sync

This seemed to make problems. When changing the line to
	exec /opt/gnome/bin/wm-properties-capplet --sync
it works. I could now go and do right that with all files in
/opt/gnome/share/control-center and my control-center will work
correctly. But I still wonder if that's the right way. MI thought that I
might need to include /opt/gnome/bin in my PATH, but I've just seen that
it is already included there...

2. The second, more serious problem: When I now start GNOME, I don't get
a panel. Instead, I just get a window in the middle of the screen that
says "Panel Test". This window does nothing exept consume a lot of
CPU-time (yes, really). I cannot close the window (exept by killing it)
and when I click inside the window everything crashes (well, if I click
inside it I can still move the cursor but wherever I click, nothing
happens. Also pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE does not have any effect...)
By the way: I had installed the GNOME-packages that came with my
distribution before and the SAME problem occured! Only when I install
Gnome without the --prefix thing, my panel seems to work.

Any ideas, anybody, how I can get my panel to work? (I think if that
problem's solved, everything's fine!)

Nils