Re: GNOME and Solaris x86

Well I have solved some of my problems with GNOME and Solaris x86 but
these still leave problems. Anyway my system is as follows

SunOS dkg3 5.7 Generic_106542-07 i86pc i386 i86pc

Reading specs from
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.7/2.95.1/specs
gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)

1. The main problem I had was not getting the control conter to start.
This I have seen is also being observed by other people. The really
strange thing is that it would not start with GNOME but would with CDE.
Well it gave the same error  that other people have been seen and
reporting. In my case it was askin for /usr/local/gnome/share. A long
time ago I installed in /usr/local/gnome. I gave up on this and
installed it in /usr/local as it was easier. Anyway I have installed
many times since then and yet it still uses some configurations file
from this defunct installation. Does anyone know what this file is so
people can remove it before they install?

I got around the problem by linking /usr/local/ to /usr/local/gnome and
everything is happy. The latest install with the latest software was
compiled and installed as root as in the Solaris instructions.

2. The second problem was the applet menu's were not seen and no applet
could be added.  The way I got around this was to remove all the
enlightenment and GNOME config directories. It would seem these were
corrupt from old installs.

3. Sonud does not  seem to work at all on Solaris x86 at all. I am not
using the OSS drivers but the Sun supplied drivers and a soundblaster
pro. How can I trace the problem further?

I have one other question about GNOME. How can I configure the fonts and
menus and window edges etc which are suitable  for my large resolution
and monitor size, 1600x1024 and 21" monitor (yes I know I am lucky). At
the moment everything is too small to use. On CDE I could use larger
scalling of fonts etc. How do I do this with GNOME. I realise it is an
enlightenment problem aswell but the panel and default fonts are small
on the GNOME apps aswell. Do I have to look around for a suitable theme.
Does anyone have a suggestion for such a theme.

Dave

PS Nothing to do with GNOME but how do you configure the mime type for
e.themes.org to save to disk and not start an app as it does for me.
What is the mime type for the themes. There are no options for saving
for disk. Is there an ftp site for themes?

--
Email: mailto:grindrod@ihug.co.nz
HTML Home Page: http://www.NMR.EMBL-Heidelberg.DE/grindrod/