Re: Help requested.

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 11:24:44PM -0500 or thereabouts, Jacob Berkman wrote:
[gnome-help-browser]
> I just reinstalled RH 6.1 and I can't crash it anymore.
> So... please let us know if you can crash it.

Does it help to know that I can't? :(

Red Hat 6.1 (which was an upgrade from 6.0, which was an upgrade from...)
and October Gnome. Cyrix MediaGX/233MHz (i586-ish, kinda).

There are mentions of Red Hat 6.0 having this bug, too. I wonder
whether the huge preponderance of 6.1 reports is because the crashed
app dialogue was shipped with RH 6.1 and so people were walked
through the bug reports?

I went through all the bug reports I could find and tried to get the
same results from the same steps that people used and couldn't. I tried
with it running in 8-bit colour (is that the word?) and by running
it with 'startx -- -bpp16'. (By the way, on my 640x480 screen, when
I don't have virtual screens increasing the size, gnome-help-browser
is another app that takes the entire screen up, sniff). I long ago
stopped both gnome-help-browser and gmc from starting up automatically
when I start Gnome, though, so I'm just starting it from the command
line, the help buttons in apps, or the Gnome fuzzy-foot menu. It wouldn't
co-operate in crashing, and ran happily. (Um :))

For what it's worth, it isn't just RH 6.1 in the bug reports. 6.0 is there,
too. As of Sunday, it was

3 on RH 6.0 with October Gnome
11 on RH 6.1 with an unspecified Gnome (probably out-of-the-box, I
	guess: if they had gone out and upgraded it, they'd know :))
10 on RH 6.1 with out-of-the-box Gnome (1.0.39, 1.0.40 ish)
1 on RH 6.1 with October Gnome.

(And another two who identified their version by kernel number. I
think 2.2.12-20 is RH 6.1. They had the out-of-the-box Gnome, too.)

One person said he could crash it reliably. Is it worth asking
him for a backtrace? (#3644).

Short of deleting ~/.gnome and thus getting back to a situation
where it will start up automatically (and everything else I carefully
diddled with will be gone, too), I can't think of anything else I
might usefully try. Suggestions?

Telsa