Re: GUI Login

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Stephen V. Moccio wrote:

> I am a newbie to this whole Linux experience. I am running a brand new DELL
> dimension 550. I installed Linux in a dual boot situation. Linux is
> operating perfectly and I love it. I haven't been able to figure something
> out and was hoping that someone might lend a hand.
>
> When the system starts it gives me the usual login and password prompt. I
> would like to use GNOMES graphical login but I cant figure out how to start
> that. Can anyone help me with this rudimentary question?

This depends on the distribution you use. A basic point to begin is
/etc/inittab, it has this or a similar line (near the top):

id:5:initdefault:

The second field (the "5") is the default runlevel. In the comments
above that line you can see what runlevel means what. If you have Red Hat
Linux, it most likely is "3" and should be set to "5". With SuSE, I think
it is "2" and should be set to "3". Consult your documentation for
details.

After a reboot, you should have a graphical login. If it's not the Gnome
one, then I can only give you hints for RHL: With 6.0, symlink
/etc/X11/prefdm to the preferred display manager (gdm for Gnome), with 6.1
/etc/sysconfig/desktop should contain the line "GNOME" (all uppercase).

Then configure the thing in /etc/X11/gdm/.

Hope this helps,
Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils@wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils@fht-esslingen.de / nils@redhat.de