RE: GUI Login

Dear Stephen:

1.) Define "ususal login and password prompt."  Is it a GUI prompt, or is it
a simple blackscreen terminal type prompt?

2.) Is it a Redhat distribution you installed?  If so, did you include the
package gdm (actually, this should be in any distro's GNOME) on install and
select "Yes" when prompted on install if you would like to run X
automatically at startup (Redhat-install specific)?  gdm is Gnome's
graphical login and runs at startup.  So you have to satisfy both of these
requirements to make it work - you have to have the program to run (install
gdm), you have to configure it to run at startup (this should have been done
automagically if you installed gdm and selected "Yes" when asked if you
wanted the system to come up in X automatically when you were doing the
install).

My suggestions:

Do an "rpm -q gdm" at the command line to see if gdm is present.  If it's
not there, you'll get the reply "Package gdm is not installed".  In this
instance, you'll need to install gdm.

If gdm is installed, check to see if it is running using the "ps" command.

If, for some reason, you are not even starting X automatically at startup,
you will need to manually modify initab to do runlevel 5 at startup.  Let me
know and I can walk you through the modification.

If you are already running X (i.e. - you have a GUI login prompt screen),
then what you are seeing at startup is probably xdm.  In this instance, you
just need to install gdm.

Email me back (you don't need to copy the list) and I'll walk you through a
fix.

William F. Helke
Chemical Synthesis - Development Resources
Greensboro  Ext. 7213