Re: GUI Login

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 07:54:16AM -0500, Stephen V. Moccio mentioned:
> When the system starts it gives me the usual login and password prompt. I
> would like to use GNOMES graphical login but I cant figure out how to start
> that. Can anyone help me with this rudimentary question?

 Run "runlevel". It should say something like

3 5

 If there is no "5" there, it means your "initdefault" in /etc/inittab
isn't set to five. Run "init 5" to get to runlevel five, which is when the
GDM login screen comes up. Set it in /etc/inittab like so:

id:5:initdefault:

 And it'll come up by default next time you reboot.

 On RedHat, the file /etc/X11/prefdm is a link to the program it runs - gdm
in this case. Make sure that's there.