Re: New user ...opinion.

----- Original Message -----
From: albi <onderste@casema.net>
To: A Palsson <ampalsson@ozemail.com.au>; <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 1999 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: New user ...opinion.

> On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 06:46:41AM +1000, A Palsson wrote:
>
> > Just as a suggestion, since "ease-of-use" is a big factor in user
acceptance

> it is ? Unix is userfriendly but .... ;-)
We used to say "user-hostile" back in the good ol'e days :) Don't we all
want to feel smart by running something that beyone the average-joe to work
out.
All jokes aside, user-friendliness is a vital part of ensuring productivity.

> > of new environments and Linux/Gnome is anything but an easy thing to set
up
> > and configure for the average "newbie", with all the compiles /
configures /
> > makes and "make installs" what about developing some easier method to
> > install the thing.
>
> Gnome is bleeding edge, period.
Too much "bleeding-edge", usually makes software "bleed-to-death" very
quickly

> Get pre-compiled RPMS, deb's whatever,
> AND learn to be thankful to OSS-programmers.
I am thankful to each and everyone who has put an effort into this project,
don't get me wrong. I think LinuX is the best thing since canned beer.

> (Ummm, Miguel, I did send you a fancy email a few years back with BIG
> thanks for Midnight Commander, ummm, where's the wishlist .. ? ;-)
> ... some more (tiny) features wanted here ! :)
>
> > Something like a menu driven Install routine that installs the necessary
> > modules in the proper order, compiles, makes and configures. Without
some
> > ease of use for the average new user, Windoze is bound to stay on top
(who
> > would like to see that?)
>
> On 1/1/2000 Windoze will be all over ... ;-)
We all wish. But the "Evil Empire" seems to have nine lifes like the bloody
cat. The best way to ensure your own defeat is by under-estimating the
opposition.

Take care :))