Re: Gnome panel: how can I shrink the height?

> > I can't figure out how to make the gnome panel only one row high like
> > the default task bar on win32 systems (I just want more screen space).
> > I removed all of the big applets, and the main menu.  And I changed the
> > Gnome pager so that it uses a small pager, lists tasks only in one row,
> > and has no task list button.  I even removed the panel's hide buttons.
> > (I moved the larger applets to a separate corner panel.) The Gnome panel
> > won't shrink to fit the size of my one-row tall gnome pager applet.
> >

> That is because if I am not wrong due to the fact that the panel has a minumum
> height of 48
> no matter what.....(check out the archives, I can remember that that has been
> brought up
> several times in the past....
> For getting  more screen space I use autohide panels.....

 I think it's 24 pixels now (which is pretty small - close to the size
of the WIn95 taskbar I would think).

> > Also, what setting can I change that would allow me to maximize a window
> > without extending beneath my gnome pager?  I would like to be able to
> > expand a window to cover the full screen, but not extend past my pager.
> > thanks in advance.
> >

> YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Whenever I maximise, the damn window maximises under the little bit of the panel
> that is left after autohiding,
> and I can't access the resize corner of the window anymore
>
> really annoying...
>
> anyone knows how to maximise windows to height = screenheight- x pixels and
> width = screenwidth - y pixels??????

 The window manager would have to monitor the size and location of the
panel, and exclude that area when maximising windows. If you want, I'll
add this to my "Gnomified wm2" project - I think it falls within the
scope of Gnome compliance. WindowMaker has a "do not maximise over
dock/clip" option which could probably be adapted to this purpose.

 - Michael Rogers