Re: Gnome panel: how can I shrink the height?

On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 05:25:11PM -0400, Armando Singer was heard to say:
> I can't figure out how to make the gnome panel only one row high like
> the default task bar on win32 systems (I just want more screen space).
> I removed all of the big applets, and the main menu.  And I changed the
> Gnome pager so that it uses a small pager, lists tasks only in one row,
> and has no task list button.  I even removed the panel's hide buttons.
> (I moved the larger applets to a separate corner panel.) The Gnome panel
> won't shrink to fit the size of my one-row tall gnome pager applet.
>
> Also, what setting can I change that would allow me to maximize a window
> without extending beneath my gnome pager?  I would like to be able to
> expand a window to cover the full screen, but not extend past my pager.
> thanks in advance.
>
> Armando

  I've done a little experimentation and I believe the problem is not the panel,
or at least not on my machine.  The problem is that the pager_applet is
requesting more space than it needs; a single-row pager applet with no
pager requests the same height as a multi-row pager.  (the vertical pager
doesn't exhibit this behavior..)  You can see that it isn't the panel itself
by dragging the pager out of it and watching it shrink down to the size you
want.

  If you're using E, it already avoids putting windows under the panel unless
you ask it to.  It can't avoid putting them under where the panel will be
when you un-hide it, though.

  [ actually, I think that in E there are several different forms of
maximization; some avoid other windows and others don't.  You want one that
avoids windows..I think the label is "Maximum available size" or something.. ]

  Daniel