Re: esd == bad_sound

> esd is not 100% noise-free, but it doesn't seem any worse than /dev/dsp
> directly.

Um, esd _IS_ worse than /dev/dsp.  If you want a comparison, listen to an
AM radio then turn on your favorite CD.

> Might want to get a bit more details on exactly which situations the
> problem occurs in and how it manifests itself - a question I ask sometimes
> is "what's the simplest possible way to reproduce this problem?"

The simplest way to reproduce the problem is use esd.  All sound effects
from GNOME have a slight popping "ghost sound."  All mp3's sound like
their skipping.  I thought it was skipping until I recomplied mpg123
without esd support.  Of course, while using esd there is a popping and
crackling.  Usually there is little noise when >I< sit idle, but moving
windows and such seem to increase the noise.  (Note, this problem does NOT
occur when I am NOT using esd).

-James