Linux

Hello,

Im new to linux.  I want to get it threw ftp, but all the sites that i
visit have 100's of files and I dont know which ones to get.  If someone
could give me a list of all the files (it's probably pretty big, so i
understand if you dont give it to me), or give me some tips, i would
appreaciat it very much.

Also, I'm wondering if Gnome is downloadable.  As i understand I need linux
before Gnome. And how much Ram, memory and all that stuff do I need?

As you can see, i dont know much, im hopeing all of you can help me.

Bryan