Re: Drive-Mount bug continues, report if wanted.

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 02:55:43AM -0700, David Puryear wrote:
> For me, I get this error when trying to start drive-mount:
> -------------------------------
> SOCKET XID: 14003AF
>
> add callback ext: 80D6178
> add callback ext: 80D6178
> add callback ext: 80D6178
> register ext: 80D6178
> register ext->info: 80E2BE8
> Here!
> add 0x3000005
> type = 2 exid = IDL:CORBA/MARSHAL:1.0
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 635 (gnome_panel_applet_corba_init):
> assertion `ev._major == CORBA_NO_EXCEPTION' failed.
>
> ** CRITICAL **: file applet-widget.c: line 683 (applet_widget_new): assertion
> `corbadat!=NULL' failed.
>
> ** ERROR **: Can't create applet!
>
> aborting...
> remove 0x3000005
> remove 0x3000005
> Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x14003af
>
> Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0x14003af
> -----------------------------
>
> This is using 0.99.3.1 core. I know that when drive-mount starts, it looks for
> /mnt/floppy, which I don't have since mine is at /floppy. I would change it,
> but I don't get the chance to see anything, just the error message. Also, I
> start the panel at E-term since I like seeing what error messages I
> get.:)
>
> On the other hand, gtop works fine for me.

This looks like my problem and I have /mnt/floppy.  I also start the
panel in a color xterm, same reasons.

My apologies to Martin, after I restarted X, gtop worked fine for me,
too.  But drive-mount continues on buggy.  I either get the message you
got, or I get two instances of drive mount, then, after trying to change
them, the survivor goes poof (I've got a zip drive) and then after
closing panel and reopening, I get multiple instances of panel and of
several applets.  Mini-commander goes bye bye completely.

Again, gtop is working again.  Sorry for the scare, Martin. :)

There's a very messy problem here on at least two systems.  Looks like
there's some kind of interference between some of the applets, plus
maybe a problem with buggy pngs or code calling them up.

Second, even if I had been trying to compile out of date tarballs,
there's no call, really, in not framing it like, "Are you using 0.99.xx?
(check www.gnome.org for more information)."

Kudos to Les Thompson for making this so very much less painful than it
would be otherwise.  I print out his guide every time I download new
tarballs and check things off so I know I've done what I was supposed to
do in the order in which I was supposed to do it.

And thanks to whoever posted the patch to gmc.  I've also got a wonky
slang compiled to go with jed, I think, and have to use the
--with-included-slang option.  If you have trouble with the compile of
that and you've got a built slang on your system, try that option.

--
Rebecca Ore