esound on Solaris

I'm going through the process of compiling the source and have got up to
control-center.  Since Esound isn't supposed to work on Solaris, what do I do?
The configure script sounds like it is going to skip the relevant things, but
the make fails badly because the configure script did not create many of the
Makefiles (presumably because it couldn't find ESD).

I'm working off of the 0.99.0 sources.

What's the trick?
Thanks

BK

Things are only impossible until they are not.
    Jean-Luc Picard, "When the Bough Breaks"